October is National Arts and Humanities Month and to celebrate the City of Santa Clarita will be hosting ARTober during the month of October. The month-long celebration will feature free art events and displays held throughout the Santa Clarita Valley to raise awareness about the important role arts and humanities play in our lives.
“The goal of ARTober is to spark excitement for the arts and help our residents recognize and appreciate the cultural gems available right here in their community,” says Mayor Cameron Smyth. Residents are encouraged to explore public art within the City and share their experiences by posting their photos on social media with the hashtag #santaclaritaarts.
During ARTober, the public is invited to participate in the following free activities:
INSTALLATIONS (on display all month long)
- “Friends” Sculpture Yarn Bomb at Canyon Country Park. The “Friends” public art piece of a girl and her dog will be dressed in a large knitted scarf and beanie created by volunteers from Forge Ahead Arts and installed by City staff.
- “Framing Santa Clarita” at South Fork Trail. Experience a unique display of 10 picture frames by ARTree artists installed along the Santa Clara River.
- Fiber Arts at the Newhall Community Center (on display starting mid-October). Come view a large and colorful crocheted installation by fiber artist Ashley V. Blalock in the lobby of the Newhall Community Center. Attend the free art reception on Friday, October 13, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
- “Pick A Card, Any Card” Art Reception on Wednesday, October 4, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Town Center Art Space in the Westfield Valencia Town Center. A special reception will be held to celebrate the newest art exhibit from artist Christina Orem inspired by the traditional Hoyle deck of playing cards. Enjoy light appetizers, a chance to meet the artist and card tricks by magician Glenndalf.
- REMO Rhythm Experience Drop-In Drum Circle on Saturday, October 21, 2017 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall Library.
- Los Angeles Fifes and Drums Concert on Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall Library. Enjoy a special afternoon concert of traditional Revolutionary War period music.